MEDFORD URBAN RENEWAL AGENCY
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Thursday, July 17, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. in Council Chambers, City Hall, 411 W. 8th Street, Medford with the following members and staff present.
Boardmembers John Michaels, Daniel Bunn, Gary Wheeler, Eli Matthews, Tim Jackle, Dick Gordon and Bob Strosser were present.
Boardmember Chris Corcoran was absent.
Executive Director Eric Swanson; Deputy City Attorney Lori Cooper; City Recorder Glenda Wilson.
20. Approval or correction of the minutes of the June 19, 2014 regular meeting
There being no corrections or amendments the minutes were approved as presented.
30. Oral requests and communications from the audience
40. Consent calendar
50. Items removed from consent calendar
60.1 RESOLUTION 2014-011 A resolution authorizing execution of an agreement for Disposition and Development of property with Sky Park Medford, LLC for development of a residential project located at 206 South Central Avenue.
Bill Hoke, Deputy City Manager provided a staff report and overview of the agreement. He noted that Mark McKechnie was in the audience and available to answer any questions. He noted that the there are two modifications to be made to the agreement:
- References in the agreement regarding “residential and/or commercial” the commercial would be removed as this agreement is for residential only. This was put in the agreement originally by the developer to ensure that home occupations would be allowed. The developer agrees to have this stricken in the agreement given the City’s home occupation licensing process.
- The commencement of project should be listed within two years not six years.
- References to “MURA and/or the City” is in the document to ensure that upon the sunset of the Urban Renewal Agency or transferred of the underlying property to the City, that the agreement would be upheld.
- In reference to concerns raised regarding the City being responsible for any financial impacts in the future, if Board agrees to this, the issue will be brought to the Council for approval.
Mr. Hoke noted that one item to be addressed by the Board is the requirement that the Developer have proof of financial commitment for the project. He noted that he believed this had been submitted prior and it had not so the developer will be providing. The Board could stipulate that the Agreement would be approved pending proof being presented.
Mr. Hoke reviewed the highlights of the Agreement including the retention of 98 parking spaces; air rights sold to developer above the Central A parking lot for $1; developer will lease real property required for elevator, stairs and support columns; at end of 50 years lease options would be to sell property to Skypark at an agreed upon price or a new lease for 50 years for $1 could be entered into; developer will build project, single story or multi-story residential development.
Mr. Hoke noted that the multi-story was proposed to accommodate a three bedroom unit and Mr. McKechnie displayed conceptual design of the three bedroom unit. Mr. Hoke noted that the City will retain control of parking; the project would need to comply with the Medford Land Use Code; Site Plan & Architectural approval would be required; the development would need to meet all requirements of the City Center Revitalization Plan. This project would be treated like any other development project and would be subject to all required fees and system development charges; the cost of design and construction is developer responsibility; developer would have to meet milestones for development as outlined in the agreement.
Motion: Approve the resolution authorizing a Disposition and Development Agreement between Sky Park, LLC and Medford Urban Renewal Agency on a residential development project located at 206 South Central Avenue contingent upon developer providing evidence of financial capacity to complete this project, and contingent upon the City agreeing to cover all MURA expenses associated with this project, and contingent with the changes in the DDA as specified by Mr. Hoke.
Moved by: Dick Gordon Seconded by: Gary Wheeler
Boardmember Tim Jackle recused himself due to conflict of interest.
Roll Call: Boardmembers Dick Gordon, Gary Wheeler, Daniel Bunn, Eli Matthews, Bob Strosser and John Michaels voting yes. Boardmember Tim Jackle abstained.
Resolution 2014-011 was approved as amended.
Mr. Hoke noted that this agreement would not have come forward without the work done by Deputy City Attorney Lori Cooper and he thanked her for her contributions.
70. Public Hearings
80. Director and other staff reports
80.1 Mr. Swanson spoke to a presentation he attended at a recent conference about the growth of new residents in downtown Portland. He feels this project will provide for residential growth in Medford.
80.2 Mr. Swanson noted that the Project and Financial updates were presented at the Council meeting.
80.3 Mr. Swanson noted that we have received a request to release the $1,000,000 in escrow for the One West Main project and staff will be proceeding with issuing this amount. He noted that the developer has met all contiditions and staff will be arranging a tour of the new building.
90. Propositions and remarks from the Board members, including committee reports
There being no further business the meeting adjourned at 6:39 p.m.
The proceedings of the meeting were recorded and are filed in the City Recorder's office. The complete agenda of this meeting is filed in the City Recorder's office.