Agenda & Minutes

When available, the full agenda packet may be viewed as a PDF file by clicking the "Attachments" button and selecting the file you want to view.

Agendas are posted until the meeting date takes place.  Minutes are posted once they have been approved.

Mayor & Council (View All)

City Council Study Session Agenda & Minutes

Minutes
Thursday, March 22, 2018

AGENDA
March 22, 2018

6:00 p.m.
City Hall, Medford Room
411 W. 8th Street, Medford, Oregon
 
  1. TSP Project List Prioritization

MINUTES
March 22, 2018

6:00 p.m.
City Hall, Medford Room
411 W. 8th Street, Medford, Oregon

The Medford City Council Study Session was called to order at 6:00 p.m. in the Medford Room of Medford City Hall on the above date with the following members and staff present:
 
Mayor Gary Wheeler; Councilmembers Clay Bearnson, Kay Brooks (arrived at 6:14 p.m.), Tim D’Alessandro, Dick Gordon, Tim Jackle, Kevin Stine, Kim Wallan and Michael Zarosinski
 
City Manager Brian Sjothun; Deputy City Manager Kelly Madding; City Attorney Lori Cooper; Deputy City Recorder Winnie Shepard, Planning Director Matt Brinkley; Deputy Public Works Director/City Engineer Alex Georgevitch
 
TSP Prioritization
Planning Director Matt Brinkley provided a history of the Transportation System Plan (TSP) noting the evening’s goal was to prioritize projects, with additional discussion next week.
  • Decide Level of Service (LOS) for intersections
  • Decide whether the entire Foothill corridor improvements should be included in Tier 1
  • Project revenues have been reduced from $75.4M to $72.4M, to account for contingency
  • TSP covers a 20-year time period and is flexible through capital improvement program or budget process, etc.
  • TSP accommodates future growth through project prioritization
  • Kittleson & Associates used the proposed UGB expansion to determine road improvements to accommodate expected traffic
  • Planning has 251 proposed projects, with an estimated expense of $800M; there is not enough funding for all projects; three proposed scenarios
    • Scenario 1: Maintain LOS D, include full build-out of Foothill and North Phoenix Road for an estimated total of approximately $106M ($42M deficit)
    • Scenario 2: Maintain LOS D, intersection only Foothill and North Phoenix Road for an estimated total cost of $46.6M ($17.5M surplus)
    • Scenario 3: Change to LOS E, full build-out of Foothill and North Phoenix Road for an estimated total cost of $70.5M ($6.4M deficit)
    • Scenario 4: Change to LOS E, intersection only at Foothill and North Phoenix Road for an estimated total cost of $10.9 million ($53.2 surplus)
  • Main expenses for TSP include:
    • Project 609 Foothill from McAndrews to Cedar Links; $50M
    • Projects I17 and I78 intersection upgrades at Stewart/Highway 99 and Highland/Barnett; $20M each
      • Intersection at Barnett and Highland, with an estimated expense of $20 to $30 million
      • Stewart/Highway 99 intersection is constrained due to railroad. Generally, the railroad prefers an overpass above the railroad
  • Estimated wait times for LOS D and E are 55 and 80 seconds, respectively
  • LOS drives development within an area
    • If we maintain concurrency, development could be restricted
    • Development generates the SDC fees needed to create projects
  • Differences between Scenarios 2 and 4:
    • Intersections would be improved to five lanes each direction
    • The length of corridor would not have additional lanes
  • City doesn’t have the geography or the money to increase/maintain intersections to LOS D
    • Would need to purchase land from citizens in addition to the cost of the improvements
  • Discussed the Stewart Meadows project; the traffic study included the area through Golf View; the City built the signal; ODOT has some restrictions as well
  • Possible to only include intersections without major improvements on Foothill
  • Staff will continue to apply for federal grant funding
 
            Council comment:
  • Try to stay with LOS D, unless it is financially impractical, then move to LOS E
    • Evaluate every 5 years
  • Not feasible to pay for the Stewart/Highway 99 and Highland/Barnett intersections
  • Need to figure out four major projects, but maybe set aside funding for specific projects within the corridor
  • Could commit a specific dollar amount for each project, but City may need assistance for those projects in the future
  • Staff should maintain a priority list
  • Could commit funding to the corridor as a whole versus individual projects along the corridor
  • How do we assign the funding and maintain priority projects
    • If we keep projects as Tier 1 and partially funding, it should be approved by the MPO
  • Have verbal commitments from other jurisdictions for South Stage, but nothing in writing
  • Acknowledge that we have four big projects and assign funding toward each
  • Could complete the Foothill intersections, then move toward widening the roadway
  • South Interchange failure with traffic queuing up on the freeway right now
    • Could we still apply the funding if we keep projects as Tier 1 but do not fund 100%
    • Staff to research the issue
  • Staff to meet with ODOT on April 18, 2018; City expected to receive grant funding assistance on South Stage and other projects
    • After that meeting, staff can provide information to Council regarding cost to city and expected funding from outside areas
  • Foothill corridor including North Phoenix and South Stage should be Tier 1
  • Bulk of funding for the Foothill project is moving the power substation
    • Save funding by eliminating the sidewalks and multi-use paths and maintaining current substation location
    • Would the substation still need to move if we saved that space
    • Need gas tax funding for the project
    • Could remove center turn lane and eliminate left turns on Foothill at Lone Pine reduce sidewalks, etc. and could possibly utilize the existing area without moving the substation
    • Staff needs to research whether a right turn only at Lone Pine and Foothill would be feasible; Thrasher may need to become a collector
  • LOS D citywide with an exception of E at the Stewart/Highway 99 and Highland/Barnett intersections
  • Downtown area should also have a different LOS
  • Other funding options; at this point only including our local funding
    • Collect SDCs that already exist
    • Collaborative funding from other areas
    • Assess current funding sources and look for additional funding
  • Local Improvement Districts (LID) are created and the funding obtained from the LID can build something fairly quickly
    • Create a bond and tie it to property taxes
    • Property owners need to agree to the creation of any LID
  • Council requested additional information on LID funding, how LID’s are established and funding options
  • Review the Stewart/Highway 99 and Highland/Barnett intersections; perhaps changes could be made in the surrounding areas to reduce traffic
 
The meeting adjourned at 7:26 p.m.
 
 
 
 
Winnie Shepard
Deputy City Recorder
 

 

© 2019 City Of Medford  •  Site Handcrafted in Ashland, Oregon by Project A

Quicklinks

Select Language

Share This Page

Back to Top