STUDY SESSION MINUTES
Study Session called to order at 4:35 p.m.
Present: Commissioners Marie Cabler, Rebecca Erickson, Carol Fiddler, Paul Tanner, Daniel Smith, John Michaels and Staff Liaisons Angela Durant and Laura Stewart. Council Liaison Dick Gordon arrived at 4:37pm, Commissioner Heidi Hill arrived at 4:39pm, Commissioner Denise James arrived at 4:41pm and Commissioner Bill Boehning arrived at 5:01pm.
Housing and Community Development Commission
Wednesday, May 2, 2018
4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
City Hall, Medford Room 330
Study Session adjourned at 5:34p.m.
- Discussion of Permanent Housing Advisory Commission; and 2) The Housing and Community Development Commission Reorganization – see conversation highlights below:
- Commission Chair, Marie Cabler summarized the last study session.Staff liaison Durant provided a foundation and background for the discussion.
- Carol Fiddler and Heidi Hill are interested in being on the Housing Advisory Committee (HAC).Rebecca Erickson is open to either HAC or the Grants commission or committee, however she is leaning towards the HAC.John Michaels doesn’t have to be on either committee and is open to both, however is leaning towards the HAC.
- John Michaels spoke of a need for a Policy Commission/Committee.
- Heidi Hill spoke of the need for real citizen participation in the HAC. The HAC should consist of a broader group with content knowledge, like Chad McComas of ACCESS, who actually places people in housing.Currently there is not a designated spot for a large employer, to represent workforce housing.
- Bill Boehning will not be reapplying for either commission/committee.
- Marie Cabler spoke of the need for representation from the rental market.
- Daniel Smith said Asante is one of the largest employers and could represent the Healthcare and Workforce housing.
- Paul Tanner asked about how the commission/committee members are solicited.
- John Michaels said the Housing Authority of Jackson County (HAJC) should not be listed specifically as a member of HAC.
- Heidi Hill is not interested in being on the Grants committee, because that is what she does for work.She does not need to be on the HAC, however she is familiar with poverty.Heidi wants the selection process to be transparent.
- Marie Cabler would like to know how the two commissions interact or work together.