From Public Hearing on February 11, 2019
The regular meeting of the Medford Housing and Advisory Commission was called to order at 5:30 p.m. in Council Chambers on the above date with the following members and staff in attendance:
Matt Brinkley, Planning Director
Angela Durant, Staff Liaison
Clay Bearnson, City Council Liaison
Madison Simmons, Legal Department
Cinthya Perezchica, Planning Department
Mr. Brinkley introduced Eric Zimmerman, Deputy City Manager.
- Roll Call
- Public Comments
The Commissioners introduced themselves.
- Round Table Introductions
- Discuss Commission Charge
Review Construction Excise Tax Program (CET)
- Administer the Construction Excise Tax (CET) annual public solicitation.
- Make recommendations to Council on, annual CET award selections, housing policy, and new and enhanced housing programs.
- Advise Council on matters affecting housing development pertaining to the City’s Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program.
- Promote the adoption of policies and regulations supporting housing affordability.
- Review annual housing- related grant award recommendations made by the CDGC.
- Make and communicate final CDBG housing related grant award recommendations to City Council.
- Mr. Brinkley reported that nine voting members had been appointed by City Council for this Commission, and five members constitute a quorum.
Discuss Public Meeting Law
- The Construction Excise Tax Program is 1/3 of 1% for each building permit. The City of Medford started collecting this fee on August 17, 2018.
- Mr. Brinkley explained that there are some exemptions of collecting CET and the estimated revenue and said they project $495,000.
- Commissioner Rutledge asked how much money has been collected since August. Mr. Brinkley said the City had collected $71,000.
Adopt Commission Rules of Procedures
- Madison Simmons, Senior Assistant City Attorney. Ms. Simmons passed out a handout and discussed public hearing laws rules and procedures, ethic rules, public meetings, quorum, ex-parte contacts, public records, email accounts, and text messages.
Elect Chair and Vice Chair
- The Commissioners would like to be addressed by their first name.
- The Commissioners decided to meet every second Wednesday from 12:00 – 1:30 P.M.
- The Commissioners agreed that the Chair and Vice Chair could make and second motions.
Develop March Agenda
- Commissioner Jeff Bender was elected for Chair of the Housing Advisory Commission.
- Commissioner Jason Elzy was elected for Vice Chair of the Housing Advisory Commission.
50. Remarks from Commissioner
- Chair Jeff Bender asked staff to create the Housing Advisory Commission agenda for the first couple of months while the Commission gets acquainted with their charge of work.
60. Remarks from Council Liaison
70. Remarks from Staff Liaison
- Commissioner Randy Jones said that the Building Department at the City of Bend, OR, worked together with non-profits as a team and said he would like to see the same thing happen in Medford to bring the community together.
- Matt Brinkley thanked the Commissioners for their service on the Housing Advisory Commission.