The City of Medford strives to be transparent in its conduct and actions whenever possible. Transparent procedures include open meetings, financial disclosure statements, freedom of information legislation, budgetary review, audits, etc.
President Obama describes the importance of transparency as follows "Transparency promotes accountability and provides information for citizens about what their Government is doing."
ORS 192.630 governs public meetings of governing bodies and requires meetings to be open to the public when a quorum of the governing body is present.
The City of Medford supports government "transparency" and utilizes the following methods:
- All regular City Council meeting agendas are advertised in the Mail Tribune the day prior to the meeting.
- All regular City Council, Board and Commission meetings are noticed to the Mail Tribune on a monthly basis for listing in their community calendar. This notice is also sent to the Medford Main Public Library for posting on their community bulletin board. In addition, agendas for all meetings are posted on the Meeting Bulletin Board on the ground floor of City Hall (next to the northeast stairs.)
- All City Council, Board and Commission meeting agendas are e-mailed to the media as well as posted on the City's website.
- All State statutes requiring legal notification for public hearings, land use matters, etc. are followed by advertising in the Mail Tribune.
- City Council, Medford Urban Renewal Agency Board, Planning Commission and Site Plan & Architectural Commission meetings are televised live on Channel 181.
The City of Medford website provides public access to the following documents and videos:
- City Council, Board and Commission Agendas and Minutes
- Video archives of all televised meetings
- City of Medford and Medford Urban Renewal Agency annual budgets and audited financial statements
- Videos of special programs such as the Medford Forum, Medford Rules of the Road, Disaster Preparedness, etc.
- Public access to the City business license database
- Job Opportunities
- Purchasing/Bid Opportunities
- Parks & Recreation Information and online registration
- Online services for Building permits, Planning & Building services, Police services