Where it All Began
Long before Medford became Medford, pioneer Iradell J. Phipps purchased a large portion of land in the area. In 1883 he donated some of that land to the Oregon & California Railroad to help establish the town. Phipps built his home and raised his family on this site. As Medford grew, nearby houses gave way to commercial buildings many having to do with the automobile or transportation industry. In 1909, Medford’s first high school building was built here. The next year the Natatorium (indoor swimming pool) was built across Riverside Avenue and Merrick’s Auto Camp went in next door.