city of medford
To City of Medford Home Page


Medford, OR History Home

Placing Washington Elementary School on the National Register of   Historic Places
 

LHPC Commissioners and the Planning Department nominated Washington Elementary for listing
on the National Register because of the school's role in our city's history, its fine historic architecture and its value as a neighborhood school.

The National Register is our nation's list of places, structures and objects which are historically
significant in America's history. The National Parks Service oversees the list. The State Historic
Preservation Office advises local communities about the nomination process and necessary documentation.

To learn about the school's architecture, and the role the school played in our history, download a PDF of the nomination form.



This building was constructed in 1930.  The bell is from the original Washington School which was located at the corner of West Main Street and North Oakdale Avenue. That school was razed to provide land for the County Courthouse.

On May 3, 2013, a ceremony was held to recognize the placement of the School on the National Register. The LHPC provided the school with a bronze plaque, appropriate for mounting, which stated that the school had been listed on the National Register.

Chairperson Cathy De Wolfe and Commissioner Diana Marmon stand by the bell fountain on May 3, 2013, after the ceremony. 

crumbtrail.hi