PROJECT UPDATE - Oct. 8
PROJECT UPDATE - November 30
The Medford Parks and Recreation Department is teaming up with JWA Public Affairs, the Medford Parks and Recreation Foundation, the Medford School District, and playground manufacturer Leathers, Inc. to help replace the well-loved playground at Bear Creek Park.
Rejuvenating the 30-year-old wooden fort-like structure along Siskiyou Boulevard with a similar style using modern materials was identified by the Department and the Medford Parks and Recreation Commission as a high-priority capital improvement project for the 2017-19 funding cycle.
The original playground was installed in 1988 following an extensive fundraising campaign and an all-volunteer construction effort consisting of hundreds of donors and volunteers spearheaded by the Kiwanis Club of Medford, the Family Connection, Inc., and the City.
The Medford City Council voted to name the new playground in honor of longtime Medford-area philanthropists Sherm and Wanda Olsrud and their family.
Help us make the new Olsrud Family Community Playground the best it can be! Get involved:
The schematic design was developed by Leathers & Associates as a result of feedback from hundreds and kids and parents. Special thanks to Rogue Credit Union for sponsoring the Design Day Celebration on Oct. 26, 2017!
The designers heard and saw consistent themes from the children. Kids like the existing playground maze-like castle design, and they want adventurous amenities like zip lines, climbing elements and trampolines. Meanwhile, parents want to retain the unique charm of the existing playground but with attention to clear sight lines and with better accessibility.
The proposed schematic represents a playground square-footage increase from approximately 9,500 to 14,000 containing exciting elements that address the children’s desires, including a spider bouncer trampoline, a down-and-back zip line, a wiggly rock wall, rope climbs, ladders, tunnels and much more. The elevated structures are very much in keeping with the existing playground design and function, but with modern materials and flairs.
Playground Design 3D
Playground Design Top-Down
- Oct. 26, 2017: KOBI-TV, "Kids helping design of new Bear Creek Playground"
- Oct. 26, 2017: KTVL-TV, "Park designers ... students work on new [playground]"
- Nov. 6, 2017: Medford Mail Tribune, "Young and old weigh in on Bear Creek play structure"
- Feb. 13: Fundraising Phase Kickoff release
- June 27: Medford Forum
- August 7: Playground Demolition and Project Update release
- August 10: Blum Family Foundation donation
- August 13: KDRV-TV, Playground demolition begins
- August 22: People's Bank donation
- August 22: KOBI-TV, Five on 5
- August 30: Olsrud Family Donation
- Sept. 12: Medford Rogue Rotary Donation
- Sept. 18: Volunteers and Tools Needed
- Sept. 29: KTVL-TV, Construction begins
- Oct. 3: KOBI-TV, Rebuilding Playground
- Oct. 8: KOBI-TV, Olsruds Visit Playground Construction
Playground Feature Sponsors (as of Nov. 30)
- The Sherm & Wanda Olsrud Family
- Rogue Credit Union
- Al & Sally Densmore
- Rich & Jackson Rosenthal
- Coquille Indian Tribe
- Jim & Lindsay Berryman
- Lithia 4 Kids
- Frisk Family Trust
- RH2 Engineering
- Rogue Disposal & Recycling
- Bob & Phyllis Strosser
- Gary & Annette Shaffer
- Blum Family Foundation
- Medford Kiwanis Club
- First Presbyterian Church
- The Bunn Family
- Medford Rotary Club
- Medford Rogue Rotary Club
- Bear Creek Valley Rotary Club
- Upper Rogue Rotary Club
- After 5 Rotary Club
- People's Bank
- John & Nora Darby Heart Fund
- Rogue Disposal
- Medford Education Association
- Bob & Janda Ames
- Umpqua Dairy
- John & Cathy Watt
- Avista Foundation
- Betty F. Root
- The Shaffer Family
- Pacific Power Foundation
- State of Oregon Parks and Recreation Department
- Jacksonville Applegate Rotary Club
- Ascension Lutheran Church
- Southern Oregon Pediatric
- Knife River Materials
- United Rental
- Carpenter Foundation
- Dr. Marlan Morse
- Oregon Community Fund
- Umpqua Bank
- Rich Todd
- S&B James Construction
- PacificCorp Foundation
- Home Depot
- Southern Oregon Pediatrics
- Bennion Orthodontics
- Robert & Frances Chaney Foundation