APPLYING FOR COUNCIL VACANCY
Medford Charter Chapter VII Section 25 and 26 and Medford Code Section 2.085.
Vacant elective offices shall be filled by a majority vote of the whole Council. The term of office shall begin immediately after appointment and continue throughout the unexpired term.
Must be registered voter
Must be resident of ward represented
Must be resident of city for more than six months
PROCEDURE FOR APPLYING:
- Complete application or contact the City Recorder's Office for paper documents.
- Obtain 25 qualified signatures on the petition from those registered to vote and are registered in Ward 4. Applicant should also sign, preferably on line one. This allows Jackson County Elections to verify that you are a registered voter. Obtain at least 30 or more signatures to ensure that 25 signatures are qualified.
- Return application and petition to City Recorder. City Recorder will have signatures verified with the County. Return petitions prior to deadline to allow time for signature verification.
- All applicants must appear in person before a citizens committee and the Council for an interview. You will be notified of interview times and dates.
- Vacancy will be advertised in the Mail Tribune for two consecutive weeks and state a deadline for applying (not less than 14 days after first publication).
- Council will appoint a committee of five citizens from applicant’s ward who will interview all applicants and make a recommendation to the Council.
- Council will interview all applicants and make the appointment.
- Council may repeat the process if it deems necessary.
If you have any questions, please call (541) 774-2088.
DEADLINE: Wednesday, January 2, 2019.