From “Mudville” to Urban Center
Incorporated in 1885, Medford, Oregon began as a muddy railroad town in 1883. Early in the 20th century, population and financial growth spurred by real estate speculation known as the “Orchard Boom” established Medford as a regional urban center. By the mid-1920s, the city
had also become an aviation leader, claiming the first public airport and only airmail stop in Oregon, and in 1927 Medford became the county seat. Later in the century, the establishment of Camp White during World War II, the post-war lumber industry boom, and the expansion of regional medical services further shaped Medford’s growth and character.
Postcard image looking east at Front and Main streets ca. 1908, courtesy of Vicki Bryden. Click to enlarge.