The City of Medford wants you to have a safe and legal Independence Day. We urge residents to use wisdom and act lawfully if they choose to celebrate with fireworks this year. Medford Fire-Rescue says conditions are dry and the use of fireworks in the hillsides or near fields of dried vegetation could cause a wildfire.
Police and Fire officials will be out in force issuing citations and confiscating illegal fireworks and explosives. Citizens may use Oregon legal consumer fireworks in the City of Medford non-prohibited areas but are cautioned to keep safety in mind. Prohibitied Medford Areas:
It is illegal within the city limits to discharge any fireworks in the hillside areas, the Bear Creek Greenway, any City park, or any public school.
Any device that explodes or flies into the sky is illegal in the State of Oregon. Misusing fireworks can lead to injury. Here are some safety tips from Medford Fire-Rescue to keep in this Fourth of July:
Remember your pets during the 4th of July events:
Never allow young children to play with fireworks
- Never take your pet to a firework display
- Never leave your pet in the car
- Move your pets indoors to a sheltered area. Turn on a radio to a normal volume
- Never leave your pet unattended outdoors, even in a fenced yard
- Make sure your pet is wearing an identification tag
- If you know your pet is distressed by loud noises, consult your veterinarian
Always provide close adult supervision to older children
- Even sparkler's can cause severe burn injuries
Never have any portion of your body over a firework when lighting
- 36% of the estimated emergency department-treated fireworks-related injuries were individuals younger than 20 years of age.
Never light fireworks in a container, especially a glass or metal container
- Wear protective eyewear and avoid wearing loose clothing
Never attempt to reignite a malfunctioning firework
- This could explode and spread shrapnel
Always keep a bucket of water or hose nearby
- Soak the firework and dispose
- Can be used to quickly extinguish a fire before it spreads
- Spent fireworks should be soaked in a bucket of water before disposing