Today is Halloween and while its a good time for costumes and candy its also a time to be extra cautious. Here are a few tips to keep in mind for pedestrians and drivers. Have a fun and safe Halloween!
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Look left, right and left again when crossing and keep looking as you cross.
- Put electronic devices down and keep heads up and walk, don't run across the street.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths, If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far tot he left as possible. Children should walk on direct routes with the fewest street crossings.
- Watch for cars that are turning or backing up. Teach children to never dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians, and on curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Eliminate any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
- Drive slowly, anticipate heavy pedestrians traffic and turn your headlights on earlier in the day to spot children from greater distances.
More safety tips: Safe Kids Worldwide