Firefighting is an excellent career choice for those who enjoy physical activity, a variety of working conditions, helping people, and a little danger.
Competition is fierce!
We typically receive 400 to 500 applications every time we open our hiring process. We recommend you follow the following steps if you are interested in becoming a Firefighter.
- High School: Consider doing your senior project on a fire related subject. Contact our office at 774-2300 for more information. Graduate!
- Participate in a strength, flexibility, and endurance fitness program
- Make the fitness program part of your normal routine – forever.
- Become a Volunteer Firefighter (At 18 years old)
- Contact Jackson County Fire District #3 or #5 if you live in the Medford area.
- Become an Accredited Firefighter through DPSST
- Earn your Firefighter 1, Firefighter 2, Hazardous Materials Operations, Wildland Interface FF, Fire Apparatus Driver, Mobile Water Supply Operator, and Wildland Fire Operator.
- Earn your Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certificates
- EMT - Basic, Intermediate, Paramedic
- Work in a related field
- Ambulance company as a transport medic
- Oregon Department of Forestry as a Firefighter
- Airport Fire Department as a Firefighter
- Earn a College Degree - Fire Science and/or Paramedicine
- Rogue Community College, Chemeketa Community College, or other colleges with a Fire or EMS program.
- Test for positions
- Contact Fire Departments where you want to work. Find out how they advertise and what their requirements are
- Keep taking classes and acquiring certificates
Medford Fire / Rescue Hiring Process
- Typically receive 400+ applications
- Physical Agility and Written Test given to those who meet minimum requirements
- Assessment center:
- Screen to 48 based on test results.
- Interview, background evaluation, and a technical skills assessment (Fire and EMS)
- Top scorers receive interview with Fire Chief
- Background investigations on those selected by Fire Chief
- Job offers made contingent on successful completion of medical physical, drug Screen, and psychological exam
- START WORK – recruit training; one year probation
Follow These Links For More Information