Items Needed for Impound Vehicle Release:
1. Proof of Ownership:
- Name of Registered Owner or Lien Holder must be on DMV registration files, or
- Official (stamped) paperwork from DMV showing transfer of title
2. Proof of Valid Insurance on the Vehicle:
- Insurance policy has to show the specific vehicle on the policy.
- Policy does not have to be in the Registered Owner's or Lien Holder's name.
3. Proof that a Person with Valid Driving Privileges will be Operating the Vehicle:
- Valid driver's license, or
- Implied Consent temporary permit. (Issued to DUII drivers when license confiscated). This is valid for 30 days - 12 hours after issuance.
4. Police Department Administrative Fee:
- $120.00 cash or Visa/Mastercard credit/debit cards. Check is acceptable if local business (with City of Medford business license).
The vehicle taken into custody is subject to a $120.00 cash/credit administrative fee to be paid to the Medford Police Department. Towing and storage charges are to be paid to the towing company and are separate from this charge. The vehicle will be sold by the tow company if the charges are not paid.
The owner, possessor, or person having a legal interest in the vehicle is entitled to a hearing to contest the validity of taking the vehicle into custody and removing it, and to contest the reasonableness of the towing and storage charges. In order to have a hearing, you must do the following three things:
- Request a hearing, in writing, and mail or deliver it no later than five days from the date of your tow notice. Your hearing shall be set for four days after the request is received. These time periods do not include Saturdays, Sundays, or Holidays.
- Your request must state the grounds upon which you believe the custody and removal of the vehicle is not justified.
- Mail or deliver your written request to: Medford Municipal Court, 411 W. 8th Street #285, Medford, OR 97501-3188.
Further information may be obtained from the Medford Police Department (541) 774-2249